Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Way That Seems Right To Man

People want to feel needed.
I have never met anybody that did not desire to be needed by someone else. I am not sure why this is... I don't know if it's because God looked at Adam and found that it wasn't good for him to be alone... Or if we're in some way wanting to fill the role of Holy Spirit...

Anyway, whether right or wrong, whether people need me or I need people, I DO know that people need God. It's a desperate need that cannot be replaced by any other relationship. It's un-solvable except through God Himself. We cannot take the place of the Holy Spirit dwelling inside someone's soul.

I DO know that we're called to be in relationships with other people. Not for our own satisfaction, but in order to obey God by loving the person unconditionally. Loving them the way Christ loves us.

I'm not talking JUST about husband/wife relationships. I have nothing of any value to offer to someone about that type of relationship, having never been in one myself. I don't pretend to imagine I can offer council or advice to a person in that sort of relationship that would be of any worth.

I can see what God says and translate it to the best of my ability. God tells us to love people, and to submit to Him. In Philippians Paul says that we are to look, "not only to our own needs, but to the needs of others" and to "esteem others as better than ourselves..."

I don't think we should try to "make people need us" I think we are to selflessly love them, pointing them to Christ and His insurmountable love. I don't really think people need people. They need God. They need us to be an expression of God's love. I don't really need people. I need God's love in my life.

I don't mean that I don't want people to have relationships with. I think life would be meaningless without other people. Here I'm confusing myself... When I say "I don't need people" that's not entirely true. We do need people... just not in the way we THINK we need people.

We need people to be accountable to, we need people to fellowship with, in order to grow and mature in Christ. But that's not how we feel. That overwhelming feeling of "needing someone" is our soul crying out for the Holy Spirt of God. In fact, the times we seem to NOT want people around, when we try to draw away and hide, that's when we actually NEED people. We need them to draw us closer to God.

Our need of people is just part of our bigger need of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment